Tuesday, April 7, 2009

External Factors Intrude



Being an adult is never easy. You appreciate consequences so you become more risk adverse. It's a good attribute to have when you are trading.



The Prediction


By traveling 45 pips, the opening candle suggested that the currency would travel another 55 pips with a 76% probability.





The Beautiful Setup


I was never in the red, as it zoomed through the SELL at 1.4690 at 4:50am. Every indicator showed this was going to be a long run, perhaps way further than the predicted 55 pips. The 60 minute RSI was cresting overbought, trending purposely south. The 240 minute charts showed oversold conditions, but with room to run further. The 15 minute RSI had just crossed the 75% marker and the MACD was seconds from triggering south.




One concern was 1.4635, the prior day's low. The currency was likely to at least pause there, maybe even retrace. The 3am Grid's target was precisely 1.4635, so it was going to be in play regardless.




The Fly in the Ointment


Man o man, it flies down to 1.4620, lingers for a second and quickly finds resistance at 1.4645. That's when it happens. My charting software froze. Solid. Now I'm blind. My trading platform is working just fine, with my gain hovering around the predicted 55 pips. What to do?




I GOT OUT. Hey, 55 pips is a decent day's work. Once I rebooted, the software restarted, and I saw that the currency had dropped another 50 pips or so. BUMMER!!!




Bottom Line
I made a mature, rational decision. So many things can go wrong when you have eyes on the instruments. The risk goes up exponentially when you can't even read your instruments.

It sucks being a grownup.

No comments:

Post a Comment